Sunday, December 11, 2011

Easy Yarn Wreath Tutorial

Today I'm going to show your how I made all the beautiful yarn wreaths I featured in my post, How to Do Christmas for Little or No Money - Gifts Made With Heart! The best part about the whole project is that's it's truly very simple. This project also doesn't require any special equipment or skills so it's perfect for beginning crafters!

First you will need these materials:

Wreath Form (I prefer straw wreaths wrapped in cellophane, but foam works too!)
Yarn
Glue Gun
Glue Sticks
Straight Pins (optional)
Felt Flowers or Other Embellishments of Your Choice (optional)

Note: Please disregard the fact that there are multiple wreaths and different colors in this tutorial, as I was making several at a time when I took these pictures!

Once you have gathered all your materials, it's time to start making your yarn wreath! If you are using a wreath wrapped in cellophane, I wouldn't take the wrapping off because the straw will poke through your yarn and the texture of the finished product won't be the same. I start by tying a knot with the beginning amount of yarn around my wreath form, as shown below. You can also pin or glue the start of your yarn onto your wreath form, it's your choice.







The next step is to start wrapping the yarn as closely together as possible around the entire form of your wreath. Now this step will seem as if it takes FOREVER. Don't worry, the wrapping will eventually end! If you have a multi-colored yarn or a thinner yarn, it is much more important to try and get each new wrap as tightly and closely together as possible. If they are not close, you will end up with holes showing through to your form at the end of your project. If this is your first wreath {or you simply don't want the wrapping to be too tedious}, I would suggest a heavier, thicker, and possibly textured yarn to start, as imperfections are more easily hidden behind the thicker strands.



After you have wrapped your entire form, secure the yarn the same way you began. If you began the wreath with a knot, end it with a knot, and so on. *Before you complete this step, make sure that you have thoroughly covered the entire form to your liking, most likely with no holes in between yarn strands.* Once you have secured the end of your yarn, cut off any extra yarn and tuck the loose ends from the knot, pin, or glue under your tightly wrapped yarn strands.

You have now completed your actual yarn wreath!












Next, you will want to gather any sort of embellishment you have chosen to your wreath. I like felt flowers, so that's what I have chosen to add to my wreath. You can glue them with a hot glue gun, or pin them onto your wreath form using straight pins. Continue until you like what you've made!

You can check out my Pinterest to see how I made the felt flowers!

Tip: I usually add embellishments by placing them on my wreath and then pinning them there with straight pins until I'm sure I like the placement of everything on my wreath.


























Congratulations! You've now made a gorgeous yarn wreath!


Once you've perfected your yarn wreaths, start adding new yarn textures, multi-colored yarn, new colors, and embellishments you might not have ever thought of {such as buttons, flowers, balloons, twine, lace, and rhinestones} - Go wild! I'd love to see what you end up with!



Pin It





Tutorial shared here, herehere, here, here, here, here, herehere, herehere, herehere, here, here, and here.




Tip Junkie handmade projects






Home Stories A2Z























Tickled Pink at 504 Main

6 comments:

  1. This is so pretty!! Hope you can link it up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now. (And red during the holidays!) http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/12/turquoise-lovin-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Sara, Just linked up! Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out soo good! I'm thinking of making one of these myself for the first time this weekend... wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this easy peasy tutorial...thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower. Warm wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, if you end up making a wreath I'd love to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...