Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Zucchini Night! - 2 Healthy and Delicious Ways to Incorporate Squash

Let me start off by saying I love zucchini. I could eat it in almost any form, but for those of you who aren't so fond of it I'll share some great recipes that might make you change your mind.

The first comes from Gina at Skinnytaste.com. {If you haven't checked her page out she has TONS of mouth-watering/health conscious recipes and tips.} She also allows provides Weight Watchers numbers for each recipe, so if you're watching your figure this is the lady to go to. Last night I made her Cream of Zucchini Soup and my taste buds are still craving more.

Here's how you make it:

Chop up all vegetables. (I prefer to do all the chopping first)


Combine 1/2 small onion chopped, 2 cloves of garlic, 3 small zucchini (I like mine quartered), and 32 oz. of chicken stock in a large pot and set to medium heat.



Gradually bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.

Then add 2 tablespoons of reduced fat sour cream (I used fat free) to your mixture and pour in a blender. Puree until smooth. Then add salt and pepper to taste. 



And voila! A perfect delicious winter warm up, and healthy too!

The second recipe is partly my own. I love to cook chicken breast for my family. It's lean, it's inexpensive, and there are so many ways to cook it. I prefer to cook my chicken in a pan.

I add 1-2 tsp of olive oil. Add my chicken breasts and lightly sprinkle each side with dry mustard, garlic salt, oregano, basil, and parsley and cook chicken until done. [To me the dry mustard really makes the chicken flavor pop, but if you prefer you can leave it out.]


This is the part of the recipe that's NOT mine. I love this quick and simple marinara, again from skinnytaste.com. I followed her recipe exactly. 

Next, I ladled the marinara on top of my chicken breasts and added chopped zucchini. Check this dish out!


I think it would also be divine with some freshly grated mozzarella on top!

This entire meal for 2 (and a half), the soup and the zucchini dish, only cost me $7! Who says you can't eat healthy on the cheap?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...